Saturday, June 20, 2015

A not-bad week of exploring.

After sitting in a gritty hottub at Sndmn Sgntr hotel in Richmond (which was nevertheless wide open to infiltrators), I made my way to Sea Island and got on this hotel's rooftop:



There were fire exit doors leading out to the roof marked "Emergency Exit: Alarm Will Sound" but they lied.

A few days later on a weekend afternoon, I strolled into a condo construction site in the heart of Metrotown carrying my bag of groceries. This was one of the last towers in the neighborhood that I hadn't been able to get inside yet. It was a somewhat roundabout entry from an adjacent parkade where only construction personnel are supposed to park, but on the weekend it was empty, it was easy to ignore the signs, and a naive person could quite plausibly just have found themselves inside the fencing, and decide to take a little look around. Or climb the 41 flights to the roof and drink in the view.

I didn't have even my crappy cell-phone camera, though.

A few days later, up at SFU, I found my way into the Nvrsty Thtre through an improperly closed door -- just that easy.

The basement seems semi-abandoned. There's a dirty dance studio, a couple of empty rehearsal rooms, a former recording studio (I think), and dingy dressing rooms.





I moved this chair into place from another room and played a couple of songs on this unloved piano:



I looked all around the upstairs theatre, too, backstage and even above stage in the catwalks, but the photos I took were too dark. But I sure enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment